Monday, August 22, 2011

i {heart} school






Dear Reader,

HAPPY FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!

Original Post: 
I love teaching and I especially love the students that I have had in my classes over the years-every single one.  I have been avoiding thinking about how much I miss it until today...and I cried.  Really cried-cried like I was in mourning.

I loved teaching= for the paper & the pencils & the crayons & the bulletin boards & crafting special days & newsletters & salt dough & prizes & dandelions & bubbles & hugs & I missed you's & fun lesson plans & exploring & creating & building & "Good song Mrs. Winterrose!"  & nature walks & playing in snow & giant snowmen & recess & slides & kindergarten Hokusai & "Can one person really change the world?" & storytime & sink or float & graphs & book orders & new reading levels & SEP's & "You rock Mrs. Winterrose!"  & fieldtrips & parents & collegues & free choice & fairy tale day & pirate week & shared writing & Ah Ha moments & happy eyes & squeezy cheeks &...Well, I could just keep going and going but most of all I loved that in my classroom, for 2 1/2 hours a day, my students knew I believed in them, I cared about them, and that I knew they could do anything.

I just wish I could put all that, the potential I saw in them, combined with an armful of protection in a pretty package and give it to them on the last day of kindergarten.  I would give it to them so thay could peek in whenever they needed, through whatever struggles were ahead, and remember how great they are and what they can become.

Today I heard that one of my sweet students from the first time I was in a classroom is going through a really difficult time-too much for his little shoulders.  I wanted to give him a hug and tell him it will all be okay, he is strong, he is smart and he can get through it...but...I am not at school, I don't see him anymore and it made me sad, sad I can't be there for my kids.

It made me think of all my kids who had struggles to heavy for their shoulders and I just prayed--prayed they have good teachers every year, or good neighbors, or good church leaders, or good friends.  Someone to remind them how great they are and that everything will be okay. 

One of my many sweet parents gave me a plaque- it hangs in my living room:

"To the world you may be just one person but to one person you may be the world!"


My kids reminded me everyday of the simple joys in life, now, 
my sweet baby McGilly does.




Isn't it great to have so many things to love?


I feel better.



Thank you,
AshLee






P.S. Check out the sources for the photo collage -beautiful, right?


1 + 2 + 3     Cwarrendesigns {Beautiful invitations, go take a closer look!}
4               Simmy DIY {I think I got 1 a day from my kidergarteners, the real ones}
5 + 7          The Sweetest Occasion {Free printable recipe card and goodie box}
6               Monnaie {I love bubbles too!}
8 + 9 + 11   Minhee & Trumans Wedding {Minhee is creator of Papercup Designs}  
10             The Sweetest Occasion {A school themed baby shower}











0 comments: